Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Integrity Is Sexy!

When I think of it, the most common marketing problem I've heard companies express over the last 10 years (including just this afternoon), could be paraphrased as this:

"Our industry is growing increasingly commoditized. We don't want to compete on price. We want to compete on value."

It'll be interesting to see what happens as we enter the Repression of 2009 (I've chosen to combine "recession" and "depression"). The marketplace for marketing could go in one of two directions. Either every service will be commoditized like never before, and we'll find ourselves in a price-cutting death spiral, or we'll learn the true lesson of what has gotten us to where we are today: motivations matter.

"The Method," as it's called in acting circles, was derived from Stanislavski's "System," in which the actor starts by asking, "What's my motivation?" (thank you, Wikipedia). What I find with companies like the one I met with today is that their biggest selling point is the integrity of their motivations: Their motivations truly do align with the client's.

In the era of credit default swaps and naked short selling (basically economic anarchy, or legalized gambling), this isn't just a nice-sounding, pat-on-the-head kind of a message. It's serious benefit, and I think it has a fighting chance in the coming year, because we live in a world where it seems like no one is actually advocating for us.

As a wannabe screenwriter with a script on the market, I have a manager whose attention I attracted by winning a national contest. The decision to work with him was one of the easiest of my life. Why? Because he only gets paid if I get paid. His motivation is to see my script sold, because if he does, he gets 10 percent of the price tag. That not only doesn't bother me, it's a breath of fresh air. Yes, the motivations of agents and managers become more nuanced with screenwriters (not to mention actors and directors) who actually become successful, but for a first-timer, it truly is black and white.

Think about exploiting your integrity in 2009 (no, it's not an oxymoron). If you don't, you'll be competing on price alone, struggling to tread water and screaming, "I coulda been a contenda!"

No comments: