Thursday, April 2, 2009

Attention Deadline Disorder

I like coming up with axioms to explain behavior, because it creates a nice illusion of understanding and control. So far, I have only two axioms (axii?) that I consider iron-clad, battle-tested and USDA approved.

Axiom #1. The speed of a driver is directly proportional to his or her height. (The shorter the driver, the slower the driver... or at least, if you find yourself behind a really slow driver, chances are you can't even see his or her head in the front seat.)

Axiom #2. In marketing, a client's attention to a project is inversely proportional to the number of days before its deadline. Translation: People don't really start paying to attention to anything until it's due.

You know what I'm talking about. I recently completed a project that went something like this:

30 days before deadline
Client: "This is fantastic. No changes."

15 days before deadline
Client: "Just a few little tweaks."

3 days before deadline
Client: "What's with all the em dashes?!"

Don't get me wrong. The client is great. I'm observing, not judging. After all, I tend to write these posts starting about three days before I plan on sending the outgoing email. (Guilty as charged...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nevermind the em dashes. Gimme some ellipses.

P.S. I had to look up the word axiom, Mr. Fancy Pants.