Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Welcome.

One thing you're not supposed to do in any profession is give free advice. But that's not exactly what this blog is for.

It seems fitting to start this blog with a Conk Creative anti-manifesto.

In my experience, people connected to the marketing world love to think and talk about the art of communication, but they don't have time for it. By sheer necessity, they can't think about tomorrow because they have to get through today. They'd love to see the world from 60,000 feet, but they can't get there because... well, there's a trade show in two weeks and the booth isn't ready, and we have a product launch in a month, and when are we going to finally redo our website? And damn, my entire day is blocked out with meetings.

I'm offering this blog not as a one-sided conversation, but as a dialogue. Since I started my personal blog nearly a year ago, I've realized that we make hundreds of observations every day (personal, professional, emotional, intellectual, cultural, catty) that go un-communicated. I feel sorry for these observations. There's no telling where they might go if they were just expressed, read and commented upon.

So that's what this blog is really for. We're all in this together. We're all trying to keep up with a world that never stops shifting under our feet. The only real way to make progress is to realize that things have grown so complex, so fast, that the idea of a "marketing guru" is an impossible relic of the past (if it existed at all).

True insight and real progress come through humility and collaboration. So here we go. Ready?

- CC

6 comments:

Buddha said...

Well done Marc! The world's a much better place now that a cerebral creative talent like yourself is unhinged from the grips of big egos, cute agency furniture and mind numbing acronyms. Keep it real, that's what us CMO's need--I've had enough of the over zealous marketing agency wonks.
Buddha

Marc Conklin said...

Thanks, Buddha. By the way, I mistakenly had this set to not accept anonymous postings. I've since changed that, so anyone can post.

Anonymous said...

dude, this is cool. rock on.

Anonymous said...

..."shear" necessity...?
A simple keyboard slip, or a revealing malaprop?

Marc Conklin said...

Thank you, Anonymous. The error has been corrected. See my next post: "The importance of copyediting."

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm no copy-Nazi. I only play one on the internet.