Sunday, March 9, 2008

Do Websites Need Words?

At the agency I left before starting Conk Creative, I spent the last six months saying that I no longer saw a reason why websites should have words. As a writer by trade, this was hard to admit. (The irony isn't lost on me that I'm stating this theory in words, on a blog no less... ) And the truth is, Google search rankings are one big hole in my theory, as people use words to find websites with with those same words.

But between YouTube, high-speed Internet connections and improvements in video compression, the idea of "the wordless website" stuck with me... maybe not for everybody, but definitely for people in the creative fields.

As of today, I've taken my own medicine. This morning, I launched the first Conk Creative website. I plan to add video case studies in the very near future, but this is the fulfillment of a vision I woke up with six weeks ago: Why write everything down and make people work to find out who you are, what you do and whom you've worked with, when you can play guitar instead?

See what you think: conkcreative.net

No comments: